Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Get Tabbed - How to Graduated Army Ranger School

Will a bad 1059 Academic Evaluation Report adversely impact my career?

In WLC I was accused of cheating. I was allowed to complete the course, but I wasn't allowed to graduate. I later was verbally informed my appeal was denied. Can I have them change my 1059? Is that going to affect my career?

The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide

Most likely it will impact your career.  Since we are in a draw down it could even be used to separate you from the service under certain conditions.  I would encourage you seek advice from the local JAG office and I would also encourage you to read AR 623-3, as it pertains to the Appeal process for Academic Evaluation Reports.

The only way I know of having the AER changed is to conduct a Commander’s Inquiry or a formal appeal.  The odds of them changing the report are slim, but it is possible if you can support your position.  More importantly you will need to obtain credit for the course and you can only do this with a 1059.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Visit MentorMilitary.com

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.


  • chris


    This order came down from my BN Commander. None of my immediate chain of command want to relieve me. this includes my Co commander and 1sg.

  • chris


    my unit is giving me a relief for cause ncoer for being charged with a dui on post. The district court however did not charge me with DUI. I recieved negligent driving in the 1st degree. Isn’t this a violation of AR 623-3 chapter 3 para 19?

    Should I file an article 138 complaint?

    Leave a Comment

    We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.