Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Award Quick: Army Award Writing Software

What do I do if my award recommendation was lost?

I was recommended for an award but it appears it was lost. What can I do?

SPECIAL NOTE: As you may know HRC moved from Alexandria VA to Fort Knox, KY but most regulations have not been updated yet.  There fore if you are attempting to contact them reference an award issue you might want to:

1. emailing this office and ask for an updated address:  USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-AWARDS@MAIL.MIL
2. Or Mailing your Inquiry to:
Human Resource Service Center
Commander, USA HRC, ATTN : (AHRC–PDO–PA),
Fort Knox, KY 40121

AR 600-8-22 outlines specific requirements for lost awards.  See paragraph 1-15 of the regulation. It states in part:

…the proponent for an award provides the following to Commander, USA HRC, ATTN : (AHRC–PDO–PA), Alexandria, VA 22332–0471:
a. Conclusive evidence of the formal submission of the recommendation into military channels.
b. Conclusive evidence of the loss of the recommendation or the failure to act on the recommendation through inadvertence.
c. A copy of the original recommendation, or its substantive equivalent. As a minimum, the recommendation should be accompanied by statements, certificates, or affidavits corroborating the events or services involved. It is emphasized that the proponent must provide Commander, USA HRC, ATTN: AHRC–PDO–PA, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471, with adequate information for Secretarial evaluation of the deed or service to determine if an award is to be made. The person signing a reconstructed award recommendation must be identified clearly in terms of his or her official relationship to the intended recipient at the time of the act or during the period of service to be recognized.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Award Quick: Army Award Writing Software

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.


  • LUIS ALEXANDER Maldonado Sr.


    221 fm 86 apt 35 I Luis Alexander MALDONADO SR Sr. Wish to REQUEST a copy of a DD214 and AM having problems with this request, I have an honorable discharge and am being TOLD that I have A dishonorable discharge and am requesting a COPY OF MY records BECAUSE I LOST THE original PAPER in a house FIRE THANK YOU LUIS ALEXANDER MALDONADO SR 09-15-1957 SS# 467132659

    Leave a Comment

    We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.