Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals

Is a Relief for Cause report required?

I have a Soldier who was reduced from sergeant to specialist. Is a relief for cause report required?

The Evaluator - Army Evaluation & Counseling Guide

Without knowing the specifics of the situation I can only offer the following information:

AR 623-3 paragraph 3-40 “Change of Rater” states in part:

3-40a(2) A rated NCO is reduced to the rank of specialist or below, if minimum rating qualifications have been met. Part I, block c will contain the reduced rank and part I, block d will reflect the effective date of the reduction. Reduction to another NCO grade does not require an NCOER (see DA Pam 623–3).

So the short answer is yes, a report is required.  The question becomes what type of report (Change of Rater or Relief for Cause)?  This is up to the chain of command.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.