Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Award Quick: Army Award Writing Software

If I have a medical reason not to be enrolled in the overweight wieght program should I still be flagged?

I have a medical condition that causes me to gain weight. I have to take injections daily. I am a PT stud and everything else in my record is sterling. Since I have a proflie I am not enrolled in the overweight program but I am flagged. I can't get promoted or get awards. Is it legal to flag me when it is not my fault?

Company Command: The Bottom Line - Army Leadership Guide

I spoke with some SME’s in the admin field.  As I understand it you are medically excluded from the overweight program but you must remained flagged because you do not meet the standards of AR 600-9.  If your condition inhibits your ability to remain in the Army you should have been referred to a medical review board.

AR 600-8-2 states: 2-3
c. “Noncompliance with Army Weight Control Program” (Flag code K). The effective date of the Flag is the date that the Soldier was found to be in noncompliance with AR 600–9. The use of certain medication to treat an underlying medical disorder or the inability to perform all aerobic events may contribute to weight gain but are not considered sufficient justification for noncompliance with AR 600–9 and the Soldier will be flagged. Soldiers will not be exempt because of chronic medical conditions unless an exception to enrollment in the Army Weight Control Program (AWCP) is granted by the DCS, G–1. In the case of a pregnant Soldier, if the Soldier became pregnant prior to being entered into the overweight program, the commander will close the Flag using codes KZ, not KE. If the Flag was
initiated before pregnancy (as determined by her primary care provider) the Flag will remain in effect until the Soldier complies with AR 600–9. Remove the Flag (code E) on date of compliance.

You might want to consider writing the DCS G-1 to request an exception to policy.  If you decide to go with this course of action you should contacting JAG and ask them for assistance in preparing the request.  I am sure the Army would also want to look at your current DA Photo as part of the request to see if you present a good military appearance.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.