Regulations: AR 600-85, AR 635-200
Tells us that a highly deserving Soldier can continue their service. The chain of command can decide to do:
- Nothing – highly unlikely unless there are special circumstances
- Punish the Soldier under the procedures of an article 15.
- Separate the Soldier from service.
The separation is at the commander’s discretion. The commander can examine numerous factors in deciding if the Soldier should be separated. AR 635-200 state a commander can consider:
(1) The seriousness of the events or conditions that form the basis for initiation of separation proceedings. Also consider the effect of the Soldier’s continued retention on military discipline, good order, and morale.
(2) The likelihood that the events or conditions that led to separation proceedings will continue or recur.
(3) The likelihood that the Soldier will be a disruptive or undesirable influence in present or future duty assignments.
(4) The Soldier’s ability to perform duties effectively now and in the future, including potential for advancement or leadership.(5) The Soldier’s rehabilitative potential.