all=1 Q&a | - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Army Uniform Tool

How do I go about marrying a women from another country?

Should I marry my fiance in Central America before I return to the states?

The comprehensive guide to the Military Decision Making Process (MDMP)

First congratulations and we wish you the best on this most important occasion!  This can be a complex issue and you may need to seek a legal opinion from JAG.

There can be significant and complex issues for Soldiers marrying a person from another country especially if you plan on staying in the Army and making it a career.

These issues include the possibility of losing or not being able to obtain a security clearance as a result of the marriage.  If you job currently requires a clearance losing it could potentially result in your separation from the service.

If your spouse is from a country on a watch list or other similar list she may not be allowed to enter into the U.S.

If your spouse is from a different country then the one your are currently serving in this could prevent or delay her arrival in the U.S.

I am not sure if this is still true but when I served on active duty we had to get permission from our commander to marry a local national.

I would strongly encourage you to seek advice from your local JAG.  You may also want to discuss the issue with  Your BDE S-2 as there may be specific information pertaining to the country you are in and marriage of local nationals.  Finally, you should consider contacting your local embassy or consulate as they can provide you specific information regarding the marriage process and any obstacles you might face in processing your spouse for entry into the US.

I know this is not necessarily the positive upbeat answer you may have been expecting but hopefully I have provided you with some insight into the issue.  I will also share your question with one of our SME’s who may have specific knowledge of this subject matter. If he has additional knowledge I will pass it on to you as soon as I receive it.

While I understand you are not serving in Korea I have attached a legal information paper  from a Legal office in Korea.  I imagine it  contains information that is mandatory regardless of the country of origin of your future spouse.  I believe your serving JAG office has a similar document.

Did you find this information useful? We appreciate your feedback!


Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

The comprehensive guide to the Military Decision Making Process (MDMP)

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.