Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Master Army Promotions Boards - App for iOS

Is a copy of the blotter or military police report released to the public?

if you live on a military base and the Military Police come to your house and write a report up, is that report released to the public

Wear it Right! Army Uniform Guide

Short Answer:



When something happens that involves the Military Police  it is usually entered into the blotter. This reports goes out to every command on post daily. The reports are not automatically released to the public. They can be requested through the Freedom of Information Action (FOIA). A copy of the actual report is provided to division level command when complete.

Did you find this information useful? We appreciate your feedback!


Note: Special thanks to ECK our Legal SME for providing this information


Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Military Writing: A Guide for Writing Counseling, Evaluations, Memos, Letters and more

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.




    Good morning CSM. I am Jaime A. Lleras, USAF CCM Retired. I am hoping you can help me with information on being able to track an old ARMY MP blotter report. I am assisting an Army veteran MP that was involved in an incident while performing MP duties at Fort Dix, NJ back in 1973. He needs a copy of the report to submit to the VABenefit Department as evidence of the incident he was involved in. Where should he send a request for such a report through the Freedom of Information Action (FOIA)? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.


    • Mark Gerecht


      Wow this is a tough one since desktop computers did not exist at this time. The only place I can think of is check the National Archives. I know the MPs had a database they were required to enter all activities into but I don’t know the name of it. But this was hit and miss. Sometimes they entered the information sometimes they didn’t. Finally, I would encourage him to Join Rallypoint.com it has 100,000’s of members to include veterans and retirees. If he recalls the name of someone in his unit that remembers the event they can provide a letter. Keep in mind the VA must error on the side of the veteran when there is doubt. Asking someone to provide documentation from 1973 is a bit unrealistic. Please call me so we can discuss some additional options. Email me your phone number and I will give you a call. Send it to my work email: Mark.Gerecht@mentorinc.us Hope there was some useful information in this response. Like I said I might be able to provide more useful information over the phone.


    Leave a Comment

    We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.