Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

Do Article 15’s and counseling statements transfer to a new unit if my current unit is shutting down?

I am being transfer to a new brigade because my brigade is shutting down. Do my Article 15's and counseling statements stay with my old unit?

Battlefield Deception Guide - From Alexander the Great to Norman Schwarzkopf

Short Answer

That Depends


This situation is a little different because the Soldier is transferring due to a unit disbanding.  AR 27-10 covers retention of Article 15’s.  If the Soldier is an E-4 or below, then an Article 15 is not forwarded to HRC, it only stays in the local file for two years or until the Soldier PCS’s to a new GCMCA.  The key issue here is the Soldier is probably staying in the same division, so the GCMCA (General Courts-Martial Convening Authority) will stay the same.  Technically, the Soldier’s entire counseling packet could follow him to his new unit.  Whether that happens or not is up to the unit and the OPORD that is directing the move.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Visit MentorMilitary.com

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.