Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals

Can my new unit give me a relief for cause?

Can a person (who has not been in charge of you long enough write you a change of rater) write you a relief for cause? I never got an initial counseling or even monthly from anybody since my last NCOER which was with another company. Since then, I have been moved to another company and I have been in this company for more than 90 days.

The Evaluator - Army Evaluation & Counseling Guide

Relief for cause reports are covered under:AR 623-3 para 3-59, DA PAM 623-3 para 3-9 and AR 600-20 para 2-17. Typically the following rules apply for an NCO:

If the matter is severe then yes, you can receive an RFC NCOER. If the matter is not severe, you will usually be given a counseling that identifies the areas you need to improve. Your progress will likely be re-evaluated weekly (in writing). If you improve, you will probably not be relieved, though the situation may merit mention on your NCOER. If you do not improve, they will proceed with the RFC. In addition, should your performance improve and then slide again in the future, there is no requirement to redo the 30-day counseling.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.