Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Military Writing: A Guide for Writing Counseling, Evaluations, Memos, Letters and more

Can I request confinement versus extra duty when receiving an Article 15?

I am in the midst of receiving an article 15, can I request confinement versus extra duty?

Get Tabbed - How to Graduated Army Ranger School

The Soldier can request correctional custody (7 days max for Company Grade or 30 days max for a Field Grade Art 15).  Correctional custody may only be given to E3 and below.  A SPC or CPL who was given an unsuspended reduction to E3 or below may also be given correctional custody.  However, the location where the Article 15 is given must have a correctional facility.  Most bases no longer have a correctional facility.  The holding cell at the MP station does not qualify.  It has to be a correctional facility such as the Northwest Regional Correctional Facility at JBLM, Fort Leavenworth, etc.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Master Army Promotions Boards - App for iOS

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.