Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
The Mentor - A Comprehensive Guide to Army Counseling and Leadership

Can a previous infraction in another unit be used against a Soldier for separation or chapter purposes?

If a Soldier commits a offense while in another unit and moves on to permanent party status in another unit (division), commits a infraction can the infraction from the previous unit be used against the Soldier to establish a pattern of misconduct?

Battlefield Deception Guide - From Alexander the Great to Norman Schwarzkopf


As long as the infraction was during the current enlistment period, then it can be used to substantiate a pattern of misconduct. In rare circumstances misconduct from a previous enlistment or period of service may be used to substantiate a separation if the Command was not aware of the misconduct, but special rules apply.

In this case, it appears the previous misconduct from TRADOC can be used to establish a pattern, but it also depends how far apart in time, the number, and the severity of each infraction is. If they are reaching back to TRADOC to establish a pattern, then they might be reaching. However, the information can always be listed in the “other misconduct” paragraph of the separation notice to substantiate character of service.

If you think this site is useful , follow us, and sign up for our newsletter

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.