Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

Am I required to live in the barracks/billets?

My daughter's boyfriend wants her to move in with him off base. He is a Private. Can he live off base or does he have to live on base in the billets?

Get Tabbed - How to Graduated Army Ranger School

If the unit has sufficient billeting space they may require you to have a room so the military does not have to pay BAH for a young Soldier living off post.

If, on the other hand, billet facilities are filled up they can authorize you to move off base.  Usually they offer this to more senior Soldiers first.

Bottom-line: most commands can make the Soldier maintain a room in the billets, and they can usually live off post as long as they maintain their room to standard, make all formations, and are not late.  If they do not maintain their room and they become a problem child, the commander can simply revoke off post pass privileges and then the Soldier must remain in his room.

Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Company Command: The Bottom Line - Army Leadership Guide

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.