Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
The comprehensive guide to the Military Decision Making Process (MDMP)

Is a Commander Required to Serve Divorce Papers to a Soldier?

Is a Commander Required to Serve Divorce Papers to a Soldier

Wear it Right! Army Uniform Guide


There is absolutely NO legal requirement for the Command to serve legal papers and the Command should know this.


See 32 C.F.R. 516.12 – Service of civil process outside the U.S.

516.12(c) Process of state courts. If a Department of the Army (DA) official receives a request to serve state court process on a person overseas, he will determine if the individual wishes to accept service voluntarily. Individuals will be permitted to seek counsel. If the person will not accept service voluntarily, the party requesting service will be notified and advised to follow procedures prescribed by the law of the foreign country concerned.

posted on 10/19/2018 under Q&A
Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

You might be interested in…

Visit MentorMilitary.com

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.