all=1 Q&a | - Leader Development for Army Professionals
The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide

Is a Commander Required to Serve Divorce Papers to a Soldier?

Is a Commander Required to Serve Divorce Papers to a Soldier

The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide


There is absolutely NO legal requirement for the Command to serve legal papers and the Command should know this.


See 32 C.F.R. 516.12 – Service of civil process outside the U.S.

516.12(c) Process of state courts. If a Department of the Army (DA) official receives a request to serve state court process on a person overseas, he will determine if the individual wishes to accept service voluntarily. Individuals will be permitted to seek counsel. If the person will not accept service voluntarily, the party requesting service will be notified and advised to follow procedures prescribed by the law of the foreign country concerned.

516.13 – Assistance in serving process overseas.

516.13(a) – Europe – For information and assistance concerning service of process of persons assigned to or accompanying U.S. Forces in Europe, contact the Foreign Law Branch, International Law Division, Office of The Judge Advocate, Headquarters U.S. Army, Europe, and Seventh Army, Unit 29351, (Heidelberg, Germany) APO AE 09014.

Additionally, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides for a stay in all civil proceeding when a servicemember is unable to appear due to military duty.


The SCRA is codified under 50 U.S.C.

Section 522 – Stay of proceedings when servicemember has notice – is what the servicemember is looking for.

Basically, the unit commander has to send a letter to the issuing court that

  1. The Servicemembers military duty requirements in Germany

materially affect the Servicemember’s ability to appear, but that the Servicemember will be available after (provide date the Soldier’s tour in Germany is up);  2.  Current military mission requirements prevent the Servicemember’s appearance and that military leave is not authorized at this time.

If the Command is not aware of all this, which I am sure they are, the Soldier needs to reach out to the servicing legal office or legal assistance office.


Please like us

If you think this site is useful, follow us, and sign up for our newsletter





Hope this helps! Did you find this information useful? We Appreciate your feedback!

Please Read!

Help Us Help please tell your peers, subordinates, and superiors. Also we are always looking for examples, classes, briefings, SOPs, templates and other information we can share for free in the Armsroom. Please help us help others by sending your ARMS ROOM stuff to:

This response is based on the information you provide. My comments do not represent the US Army or US government positions. Furthermore my comments should be used for information purposes only.



Follow us and never miss a post!

Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

You might be interested in…

Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.