Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals
The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide

What should I do if my S1 fails to update my records, causing me to miss the cut-off score?

I submitted documents to my S1 to get added to my ERB and PPW three months ago but for some reason, my S1 has not updated my records. I could have made cut-off for promotion twice if my records were updated on time. I don't want to bring it up any higher and want to try and resolve the issue on my own. What can I do about this?

The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide

The Army discontinued Exceptions to Policy (ETP) pertaining to promotion when the new system took effect on 1 June 2011.  ETPs would have otherwise been granted when a Soldier missed cut-off due to no fault of the Soldier. With the new system, in cases that would previously require an ETP due to an unavoidable circumstance that is no fault of the Soldier, S1, MPD, or Promotions Work Center, the promotion authority may submit a request for an Administrative Records Correction (ARC).

However, this does not solve the problem. MILPER MSG 11-233 states:

C.  The Soldier has the responsibility to ensure his/her record is current, all required updates are completed, and the information is accurate in their record and on the PPW.  The Unit, S1, MPD, and/or Promotion Work Center are responsible to ensure personnel records are updated both timely and accurately.

This seems easier said than done. However, the MILPER further states:

E.  If issues arise where Soldiers feel their records are not being updated, the Soldier should use their Chain-of-Command for resolution.

Follow us and never miss a post!

MacArthur D. "Mackie" Ocampo is an Active Duty First Sergeant and has served in the Army for 15 years to date with 9 years of service as a Human Resources Specialist. Currently, he serves as the First Sergeant for Hammer Company, 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 2d Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2d Infantry Division at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Mackie has served in Korea, Ft. Carson, CO, Schofield Barracks, HI, twice in Afghanistan, and twice in Iraq accumulating over 59 months of overseas service. He believes that the "personnel" aspect of a Soldier's career is a big factor in their morale and readiness and is determined to assist Soldiers in their professional development by providing sound advice and clarification of ongoing policies, regulations, and procedures.

You might be interested in…

Master Army Promotions Boards - App for iOS

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.


  • Donald White


    I have a situation required my unit’s S1 to submit and administrative records correction (ARC). I have attempted to research how to do this but all I can understand is that it needs to be signed by the first COL in my chain of command, it has to be justified, contain my supporting documents, and I have the email address at HRC where it needs to be sent. Do I submit a memorandum for record to HRC or do I need a DD/DA form? How do I go about actually submitting it? No one in my S1 or chain of command seems to have any idea how to do this.

    Leave a Comment

    We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.