Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals - Part 86

Author Archive

Here is a list of every post written by Mark

What are the specifications for a 2-mile run track?

My unit makes us take our PT test on this really steep hill. We have to run up it but we don't even get the advantage of running downhill later in the course. This seems like a bunch of crap. Can they do this?.. Read the Answer»

What items are forbbiden for wear during a PT test?

I wore my MP3 player while taking a PT test and the 1SG disqualified me from the run. Can he do that?.. Read the Answer»

Can I use a 400- or 440-yard track for a PT Test?

There is a debate in my unit. Can we use a 400-yard track to conduct a PT test? The guy in my unit said the track is not long enough. Eight laps equals two miles right?.. Read the Answer»

Master Army Promotions Boards - App for iOS
Army Counseling Software - Include over 250 Army Counseling Examples

How long can we wait between APFT events?

Are there any time limits on conducting a PT test? I want to know how long we can pause between the events... Read the Answer»

How long do I keep the DA Form 4856 on file?

When do I destroy the counseling statements I have on my Soldiers?.. Read the Answer»

Can I receive a Relief for Cause and be separated for the same offense?

I got in trouble and I am in the process of receiving a relief for cause. In addition the command says they are going to punish me even more by either separation or courts martial. Can they do that? What can I do?.. Read the Answer»

The Mentor - A Comprehensive Guide to Army Counseling and Leadership
The Board Master - Army Promotion Board Study Guide

Is a Relief for Cause Report considered punishment?

I was recently under an investigation. It is now complete. Now they are talking about giving me a relief for cause. If they give me a relief for cause is it punishment and does it stop other punishments like UCMJ and separation?.. Read the Answer»

How do I handle a Soldier who lies?

I have a Soldier who lied to me about an issue on two separate occasions. It is not a misunderstanding. What should I do?.. Read the Answer»

Why am I still flagged?

I was flagged for drinking underage about two months ago. I was instructed to perform corrective training. I completed the training shortly thereafter. I just signed up for college and was told I do not qualify for tuition assistance because I am still flagged. Why am I still flagged? How do I get this flag lifted? .. Read the Answer»

How do I make sure my Soldiers remember to refuel their vehicles?

One of my Soldiers forgot to top off a vehicle before an exercise. We were about halfway through the exercise when we ran out of gas. Trying to think of some good corrective training. Any ideas?.. Read the Answer»

What’s the “magic statement”?

So what is the Magic Statement and what does it say? Where can I find it? We always referred to it as the "magic bullet." Bullet being one of the items listed on a counseling statement. The one I always provided for use was: You are being formally counseled IAW AR 635-200, paragraph 1-16, concerning the above noted deficiencies.  You will be given a reasonable period of time to correct these deficiencies and to rehabilitate yourself to meet acceptable standards of conduct and duty performance.  Your conduct will be monitored during this period of time and you will be given opportunity to prove yourself.  Continued unsatisfactory conduct/duty performance will result in your involuntary separation under the provisions of AR 635-200 Chapter 5-8, 5-13, 13, 14-12a, or 14-12b, and you may receive a Honorable Discharge (Chapters 5-8, 5-13, 13, 14-12a, or 14-12b), General Discharge (Chapters 5-8, 5-13, 13, 14-12a, or 14-12b), or Other Than Honorable discharge (Chapters 14-12a or 14-12b only).  An involuntary Honorable discharge will qualify you for most benefits resulting from military service except eligibility for immediate enlistment and eligibility for benefits requiring you to have served a certain portion of your period of enlistment, e.g. Post 9/11 Education Benefits.  If you receive a General discharge, you may be ineligible for some veteran's benefits, you may experience difficulty in getting preferred civilian employment, and you will be ineligible for enlistment for a period of two years.  If you receive an Other Than Honorable discharge, you may be ineligible for many or all benefits as a veteran under both federal and state laws, and you may expect to encounter substantial prejudice in civilian life including prejudice in obtaining civilian employment.  You will also be ineligible for enlistment. Eck.. Read the Answer»

What regulation requires me to use the Magic Statement?

Where does the requirement for the Magic Statement come from?.. Read the Answer»