Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals

Is counseling given by an officer who has PCS’d still valid?

I have an officer who counseled me on a specific issue almost three months ago. He has since PCS'd. Now my unit commander is trying to use that counseling statement against me. Can he do that?


The fact that the counselor has left the unit has no bearing on this situation. Counseling statements are simply formal records of an event. These records can be used, in most circumstances, by the chain of command when making decisions concerning personnel actions (i.e., promotions, bars, flags), disciplinary actions, or corrective training. If this counseling statement was meant to correct a serious or on-going issue then yes, it can probably be used for any of these reasons.

If the issue cited in the counseling statement has been resolved, however, it may not be able to be used as documentation to support one of these decisions. See Are resolved counselings still valid? for details.

posted on 05/14/2012 under Q&A
Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training.

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

You might be interested in…


Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.