Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals

I am a geographical bachelor but my duty station will not allow me to live in the barracks, What can I do?in separate locations,

I am a married Soldier whose spouse/dependents do not reside with me. I am currently stationed at Fort Drum but my spouse and children live in NYC. At my previous duty station geographic bachelor living arrangements were available. At my current station they are only available for SSG and above. I have spoken with the garrison CSM and he stated I must find my own place to live. According to regulations BAH is solely for my dependents and without my BAH I am unable to afford a place to live by myself. What are my options? Is there anyway to change my BAH rate to the NYC rate?

You are not required to pay all of your BAH to his dependents in NYC.  AR 608-99 governs support of dependents who are not living with the Soldier.  By this regulation, depending on his rank, (see attached) you have to pay the amount in the BAH RC/T with dependent rate column for your rank to your dependents.  You get to keep the remainder of of your BAH.  This applies as long as there is not a court order establishing an amount of support or a signed agreement between the Soldier and their spouse on an amount of support.  Either of these two circumstances takes precedence over the chart amount, whether it be higher or lower than the chart amount.

posted on 04/20/2015 under Q&A
Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training..

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

You might be interested in…


  • timmyothi clogston


    can you please site the regulation for this policy im going through the same thing, but the other way around..

    • Eck


      Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR).

      • Anonymous


        JFTR / JTR was combined into only the JTR.

    Leave a Comment

    We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.