Q&a | AskTOP.net - Leader Development for Army Professionals

Can A Retired Soldier Give Me An Order?

Can a retired Soldier use his previous rank on active duty Soldiers? I had a retired SFC pull out his retiree ID card and try to order fix my uniform. Can he do that?.

He has no written authority or directive that allows him to enforce Army standards.

That however does not mean that you should just blow them off.  If you are doing something wrong I would encourage you to take the on the spot correction as one professional to another.  If you choose to become aggravated with the retired Soldier he may know your chain of command or at minimum report the incident which then elevates the issue to another level of which you most likely do not want that kind of attention.  If you act inappropriately and your behavior does not cast a positive light on the military then yes your chain of command could choose to act on the information and implement corrective training or worse.

posted on 10/14/2014 under Q&A
Mark is a Retired Command Sergeant Major with 26 years of military leadership experience. He held 3 military occupational specialties (Field Artillery, Nuclear Weapons Tech, and Ammunition Ordnance). Mark is one of the leading military authors in the fields of leadership, counseling, and training..

Disclaimer: Though all content posted on AskTOP.net is reviewed by our qualified subject matter experts, you should not make decisions based solely on the information contained in this post. Use information from multiple sources when making important professional decisions. This is not an official government website.

You might be interested in…

Leave a Comment

We will never publish or sell your email address, nor will we ever send you information you have not requested.