We’ve all heard it before: staying fit is simple math. The equation in question is calories in versus calories out. As military professionals, staying in shape is not a cosmetic choice. It is a career decision and all too often, a matter of life or death.
Soldier fitness: Calories in versus calories out
Eat less. Work out more. It is a s simple as the lessons you learned in basic. We all get suck in the gears that make the Army run, but we cannot forget that we are all soldiers first. Soldiers must be in shape and able to complete the missions and tasks assigned to us in a healthy and responsible manner.
Overweight Counseling Tips For The Army:
One more rep
- Discuss the problem with the Soldier to determine root cause of the issue.
- Is there an underlying health issue?
- Let Solder know you are there to help them achieve their weight loss goals.
- Is the Soldier is attending daily PT training.
- Determine Soldier’s level of motivation.
- Make sure the Soldier understands that weight control is not only health related, but can impact their career and the lives of their entire team.
This is one example of how to counsel an army Soldier with a difficult issue.